The Rohde Family

We're still here!!!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Springtime Fun

Well friends, this has been a long month...not gonna lie. But, things have improved since my last post, at least on my insides. I don't feel so down and blah. I am actually starting to feel a little better about life.

So I have been doing water aerobics now for almost a month and I am still totally in love with it! I love being in the water. I really did forget how much I missed swimming. I haven't had a swim or water aerobic class since my senior year of high school. I can tell my endurance is getting better and each class I can push myself a little harder. I sleep great the nights I go and even though I really haven't lost much weight yet, I don't feel so self conscious walking around in a bathing suit. If these people who are in their 50s and older don't care, then neither should I! I have made some friends in my classes and it really is a great way to spend an hour in the evening after a crap-tastic day at work.

Thanks to my hubby and my father-in-law, I have been able to take my bike to water aerobics everyday. I have a sweet basket on the front of my bitchin' ride now.


It has been fun to ride my bike. It gets a little rough when I am riding home because I am already tired and my legs are usually burning. But it burns so good! I want to build up my endurance enough so that I can start riding my bike to and from work. My office is only 1.5 miles from my front door, but some if it is uphill. But we'll get there.

A few weeks ago we got a late Easter present from my sister, Jill. Her friend from work build planter boxes that are meant for apartment porches, or anywhere that has limited spaces for growing stuff. So she bought us two along with some dirt. We spent last weekend, when it was warm and in the 80s and prepared the boxes by waterproofing them.


It was a good thing that we got them done when we did. Thursday night brought some crazy wind and rain and our poor boxes would not have fared so well. We are hoping to plant stuff this weekend, as long as the weather cooperates. I think we'll do some tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and maybe zucchini. I am excited to see how this experiment will go. 

This week will be crunch time to get ready for the 2012 Komen Race for the Cure. It is in two weeks and I feel like I will be ready for it this time. This will be my third time doing the race and it just gets more cool every year. Two weeks after the Race for the Cure, my family is doing another run up in Ogden. It's called Run for the Wounded. It is an Eagle Scout project for a young man up there. The donations are for the Wounded Warrior Project, but is something that is very dear to my heart. Two years ago, my brother-in-law, Dave, was serving in the Marine Corps in Afghanistan. On March 10, 2010, his convoy was hit by a road side bomb. He shattered his entire left leg, from the hip down, among other injuries. It took 86 pins to put it back together. We knew he would live, but the healing process would take a while. He was moved to the base in San Diego to heal and recover there. As a part of his healing, he would do races and other projects with the Wounded Warrior Project. This was better therapy for him that what could be done in the hospital or physical therapy. He is now home and will never forget the wonderful opportunities he had with them. So now, it's time for us to give back. If you want more info, or feel inclined to get involved, you can click here for more info.

So this is what we have been up to lately. I will post more about the garden when we get it planted and pictures from the Race for the Cure!



No comments: